Public Library  
library 

Overview

Jaffna Public Library is a Jaffna's most notable landmark, it is run to the Jaffna Municipal Council. One of the biggest Libraries in Asia; Biggest Library in the district of Jaffna. It was established in 1933. There were over 97000 books in usage at this Library. It was burnt and demolished on 1st of June, 1981 during racial conflict. It is described as a dark era in the history of Jaffna. It has been renovated in 2002 of the library was completed, with new structure with 25000 books.Over 97,000 volumes of books along with numerous culturally important and irreplaceable manuscripts were destroyed by fire

Nature

There were over 97000 books including political, religious and cultural documents which belong to the ancient period prior to hundreds of years.

 
Historical photos 
 his 1 his2 
             

Evidence

No

Location

Located at Main Street under the Grama Niladhari Division J/ 81

Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler

Taxations

No Regulatory measures

Silence; Permission for the visit of tourists only

Payments

No

Special control measures

Foot wears and hand bags will not be permitted; Usage of mobile phones and cameras prohibited

Distance

At Main Street 300m away from Jaffna bus stand

Maintenance

Municipal Council, Jaffna

Contact Nos

021 222 6028, 021 222 6030, 021 222 6031

Special day

Closed on Mondays and national holidays. Periodical unit will only be opened on Mondays.



Jaffna Fort
fort
 

Overview

This fort was built by Portuguese in 1619 and consequently used as protective enclosure by Dutch and Englishmen and is being preserved presently as a historical monument. This is the second largest historically important fort in Sri Lanka.

Nature

It is built in pentagonal layout using granites and corals. The trenches and, bell tower are being maintained nowadays too.




Evidence

No

Historical photo

Location

Located at Beach Road under the Grama Officer Division J/ 81 Jaffna Fort


Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler


Regulatory measures

Could be seen until 5.30pm


Taxations

No


Special control measures

No


Distance

At Pannai Road, 400m away from Jaffna bus stand


Maintenance

Department of Archaeology


Contact no

0212224125


Special day

No

 
Pannai Beach Park  
pannai beach park  

Overview

This park was built for coastal conservation and entertainment of public and tourists

Nature

Lies along the lagoon

Evidence

No

Historical photo

No

Location

Located at Beach road under the Grama Officer Division J/ 81

Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler

Regulatory measures

Usage of polythene and plastic prohibited

Taxations

No

Special control measures

No

Distance

At Pannai road 400m away from Jaffna bus stand

Maintenance

Municipal Council, Jaffna

Contact no

0212222275

 Station – Naga Viharaya  
nagavihara1 nagavihara2

Overview

Naga Viharaya was built during 3rd century by Devanambiyatissa for Nagas.


Nature

Historically famous ancient Buddhist Viharaya

Evidence

No


Historical photos

No


Location

Located in front of Ariyakulam Pond at Stanley Road under the Grama Officer Division J/ 79 Sirampiyady


Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler


Regulatory measures

Silence should be kept


Taxations

No


Distance

At Stanly Road 100m away from Jaffna bus stand


Maintenance

Ministry of Buddha Sasana & Religious Affairs


Contact no

0771879183

Special day

Buddhist religious festivals

 
 Archaeological Museum  
 museum1  mus2
 

Overview

This museum has very ancient goods. It is noteworthy that the wall of Sri La Sri Arumuga Navalar`s house also remaining here.

Nature

Ancient aesthetic and cultural goods, war instruments

Evidence

Antiquities Ordinance No.188 v-p277/40-2011-12-30 (pertinent to the wall of Srilasri Arumuganavalar`s house)

 
 Historical photo  
naavalar  

Location

Located at the Grama Officer Division J/ 78 Aththiyady

Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler

Regulatory measures

Prohibited to take photographs with flash light reflection

Special control measures

No

Distance

At Navalar Road 400m away from Jaffna bus stand

Maintenance

Archaeological Museum

Contact no - 0212224125

Special day

Note - While travelling 100m through Stanley Road from Jaffna bus stand “Naga Viharaya” could be seen and subsequently by travelling through the Palaly Road, the Navalar Hall, wall of Navalar`s house and Archaeological Museum could been seen.

Could be seen only during office hours

 
 Kathiresan Temple (Vannai Kathirvelautha Swamy Temple)  
kathiresan temple  

Built by Naduukoddai Chettys and the religious opening (‘Kumbabisheka’) was held in 1931. The halls were constructed using ancient granite and Rangoon Teak

Nature

Sculptures made up of Rangoon Teak are available

Evidence

Antiquities Ordinance No.188 v-p-277/40-2011-12-30

Location

Located at K.K.S. Road under the Grama Officer Division J/ 83 Koddady

Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler

Regulatory measures

Silence should be kept
Taxations

No
Special control measures

Wearing cultural dress
Distance

At K.K.S. Road 74 m away from Jaffna bus stand
Maintenance

Public temple; maintained by the Board of Trustees
Contact no

021222 7334
Special day

‘Thai poosam’, ‘Kanthashasdy’

 
 Vannai Vaitheeswaran Temple  
vannai vaitheeswaran  

The ancient Sivan temple built by Sculpture Specialist Sri Kannaiyirastha pathiyar by A.C. 1790 upon the order of the King Maharasda Sathirapathy Prathassing who ruled Thanchai due to the effort of Kobalachettiyar and Vaithilingachettiyar in view of the growth of Hinduism and Tamil during the period of Dutch.

Nature

Surrounded by Paraphernalia temples as per ‘Agama’ rule

Evidence

Antiquities Ordinance No.188 v-p-277/40-2011-12-30

Location

Located at K.K.S. Road under the Grama Officer Division J/ 83
Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler
Regulatory measures

Silence should be kept
Taxations

No
Special measures

Wearing cultural dress
Distance

At K.K.S. Road 950m away from Jaffna bus stand
Maintenance

Vaithilingachettiyar  (Trustee)

Special day

Annual festival occurs twice

 
 Six Pillars Choultry 
 aru kaal madam  aru kaal madam1
 

The traditional resting hall constructed by the Kings along roads closer to crematoria, temples and markets for the relaxation of gypsies during ancient times

Constructed for the relaxation of gypsies

Nature

Choultry, well, water tank, large stones like ‘sumaithankikal’, ‘avuranchikal’ and large tree are present here

Historical photo
aru kaal madam2 aru kaal madam3
 
 

Location

Located at New Moor Street under the Grama Officer Division  J/ 88
Mode of travelling

Bus, car, three wheeler

Distance

At Manipay Road 3.5Km away from Jaffna bus stand
Maintenance

Both the Board of Trustees of Gnanavairavar Temple and Arivoli Community Centre maintain together

Note - While travelling 75m through K.K.S. Road from Jaffna bus stand “Kathiresan Temple” could be seen and subsequently by travelling 25m from that road “Sivan Temple” could be observed and by travelling 2Km through the Sivan Temple North Road and then by turning and travelling through Manipay Road “Six Pillars Choultry” could be seen