Pullaweli St.Sebastiar Church
Place
Pullaweli St.Sebastiar Church
Reasons for its Importance
This is one of the oldest Churches which was declared in the year 1867 as a pilgrimage centre    and it is the only church which was gazetted in the Vadamaradchy East DS Division.
Characteristics of this Place
In the early days when Kings were ruling those who were from the coastal areas from Gurunagar came to do fishing in the year 1800 here put up small hut & installed a statue and started worshiping.
Proof of Witness
This Church has been Gazetted in Gazette No.1795/4 dated 28.01.2013 and has been included as a Archeological treasure.
This Church has been Gazetted in Gazette No.1795/4 dated 28.01.2013 and has been included as a Archeological treasure.
Place where It is Situated
In the Village of Vetillaikerni in GS Division J/432
Mode of Approach
After a certain distance can be reached by walking, by motor bike or by push bicycle.
Arrangements
Water & Toilet facilities are available only during festival (Church feast) seasons.
Special Restrictions
Consumption of alcohol is prohibited
Distance
14 km from Vadamaradchy East Maruthankerny junction
Maintenance
Village Level Organizations
Contact

Cultural Officer,

Divisional Secretariat,

Vadamaradchy East.

Contact No :- 0776164893

Email Address :- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Grama Niladhari,

Vettilaikerni J/432

Contact No :- 0771791850

Special Day
Annually In July from 2nd the Special Feast of this Church is celebrated.

St.Antony Church – Manalkaddu

Place
Manalkaddu St.Antony Church (Old Place)
The Church established in 1894 was later completely got lost due to sand storm and now its structure is re- appearing. Thereafter the new Church has been built in 1925 in another place.
Reasons for its Importance
Characteristics of this Place
The cornerstone was laid by Rev.Fr.Olive in the year 1994. Rev.Fr.Gnanapragasam Mangaladas was ordained as the first Father of this Church.
Place where It is Situated
Situated in the village of Manalkadu in Manalkadu GS Division J/419
Mode of Approach
After a certain distance can be reached by walking, by motor bike or by push bicycle.
Arrangements
As per Archeological Dept. arrangements
Special Restrictions
Consumption of alcohol is prohibited
Distance
28 miles from Vadamaradchi East Maruthankerny Junction
Maintenance
Archaeological Department
Contact
Cultural Officer,

Divisional Secretariat,

Vadamaradchy East.

Contact No :- 0776164893

Email Address :- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Grama Niladhari,

Manatkadu J/419

Contact No :- 0770239371

Special Day

Church Feast is Annually conducted in 13th June

Birds Sanctuary – Chundikulam

 

Place

Birds Sanctuary – Chundikulam
Reasons for its importance
This sanctuary is natural, friendliest and surrounded by lakes.
To this attractive sanctuary various since local birds and birds from other countries flock from the month of November to January we can witness various types of birds
Characteristics of this Place
Chundikulam Birds Sanctuary is situated in the north east coastal belt of the Jaffna Peninsula in an area of 49.2 square kilo meters. This sanctuary is being used by environmentalists, students and researchers for their study.
Place where It is Situated
It is situated in the Chundikulam village in Chundikulam GS Area J/435
Mode of Approach
After a certain distance can be reached by walking, by motor bike or by push bicycle
Distance
35 KM from Maruthankerny junction
Maintained by
Wild Life Department
Contact

Cultural Officer,

Divisional Secretariat,

Vadamaradchy East

Contact No :- 0776164893

Email Address :- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Grama Niladhari,

Chundikulam J/435

Contact No :- 0770532133

Nagarkovil Ancient Nagathambiran Temple

 


Place
Nagarovil Ancient Nagathambiran Temple
Reasons for its importance
Among the famous Hindu Temples in Vadamaradchy East it takes pride of 1st place.
Although there are several Hindu Nagathambiran Temples with Moorthy, Thalam, Theertham and Thalapulranam and also with five headed Cobras as the Deity in the sanctum sanctorum who are famous for its historical background and for miracles in the Vadamaradchy East, Nagarkovil Nagathambiran Temple stands as the Chief Temple among them. Also from ancient days up to date Nagarkovil village people if they are bitten by any venomous reptiles they do not go for treatment but they take the precious medicine available in the temple, dissolve it in the water from Nagapond (Temple) take it orally, apply it on the bite area and get cured. Now the devotees come to the Nagathambiran Temple to fulfill their vows.
Characteristics of this Place – It is situated in the North of Jaffna Peninsula and 16 KM east of Point Pedro town. In ancient days Naga tribes who lived in this place used to worship Naga (cobra) and are in the habit of calling their king as Thambiran. Therefore they have named this temple as Nagathambiran and have been continued to worship. According to Temple registration records Nagarkovil Ancient Temple has been registered in the year 1845.
Location
It is situated in the Nagarkovil village in the Nagarkovil Grama Sevaka Division
Mode of Approach
After a certain distance can be reached by walking, by motor bike or by push bicycle
Special Restrictions
Alcohol prohibited. Males cannot wear shirts to enter the temple
Distance
18KM from Maruthankerny junction
Maintenance
Village Level Organizations
Contact
Cultural Officer,

Divisional Secretariat,

Vadamaradchy East

Contact No :- 0776164893

Email Address :- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Grama Niladhari,

Chundikulam J/424

Contact No :- 0776681528

Annually in the month of September festival is held for 10 days. In this festival the Kappal (ship) festival is held on the day after full moon day as 7th day festival which is celebrated in a grand scale.